The Attributes of a Good Polo Pony



Speed, intelligence and agility by themselves, do not make a good polo pony. He must be clever. He must be able to dodge and swerve while going full speed, and to wheel and turn on the proverbial dime. Besides this, he must be able to follow the ball, and instinctively put his rider in a good position to hit it. He must be completely steady and unaffected by the waving mallets and yelling crowds. In addition, and no less important, he must have much courage, and not flinch from contact, sometimes violent, with another mount.







Sunday, February 1, 2009

Donating My Money


For Christmas 2008, I asked family and friends to not buy me any gifts. Instead, I wanted them to either donate to a charity, or to give me money to donate to a charity of my choice. My charity of choice was a horse rescue. Surprise. Surprise. I had many requirements for the rescue that would recieve my money. One was that they must rescue horses from kill pens/horse-slaughter auctions or directly donate money to places that do so, such as Alex Brown Racing/Friends of Barbaro. I am opposed to the inhumane treatment of animals, and until someone proves to me otherwise, I consider horse slaughter to be inhumane. We can debate about this later, but let me assure you that I have spent hundreds of hours researching both sides of the issue!! Now I thought it would be easy finding the "perfect-in-my-mind" horse rescue. After all, there are thousands. I put my list of requirements in front of me and started Googling. Hours, days, weeks later, I had my list down to two places. It was now time to start making phone calls, and emailing with specific questions. I know this sounds extreme, but I don't very often have extra money to give away, so I was being fussy! Here's my gripe. Neither place ever returned my multiple calls or emails. I know they are very busy and use volunteers, but don't say on your website things like "email for a list of feed stores, hay suppliers, veterinarians, etc, to send your money directly" if your not going to email back. I am not going to "blindly" send you my money without some kind of human contact! This,to me,is bad business. What if I was someone that was going to be regularly sending money, or on my deathbed and looking for someone to inherit my millions! At about this time I got an email from someone forwarding the story of a TB that was rescued from a kill pen. I know that lots of TBs are rescued from slaughter, but this one caught my eye because of his name which was/is "Clever Allemont". One of our polo horses is "Twilight Trick" by "Clever Trick". Its turns out that the horses are half brothers. I figure this must be a message from above. So, I sent some of my Christmas money to Winding Road Equine Rescue & Retirement in KS who found Clever Allemont, and some to Old Friends TB Retirement, which is where he is now retired. I still have a little in the bank which is collecting interest (though not very much) until the "Perfect Rescue" comes along.

No comments:

Post a Comment