The Attributes of a Good Polo Pony



Speed, intelligence and agility by themselves, do not make a good polo pony. He must be clever. He must be able to dodge and swerve while going full speed, and to wheel and turn on the proverbial dime. Besides this, he must be able to follow the ball, and instinctively put his rider in a good position to hit it. He must be completely steady and unaffected by the waving mallets and yelling crowds. In addition, and no less important, he must have much courage, and not flinch from contact, sometimes violent, with another mount.







Monday, April 27, 2009

I Knew Better---


Never a dull moment. Even though I knew better, on Saturday, I attended the yearly Un. of CT. horse auction. My son was planning on going down to the university on Friday to visit friends, and then attend the auction. I was suppose to do some work for the Barre Riding and Driving Club, but that was cancelled. I took this as a "sign" to attend the auction. When my husband found out that Mark and I would be going, he decided to go to "keep us in line". There were 27 horses and 1 mule in the auction. Most of the horses were those that were no longer being used by the university. Seven of the horses were from the CT Dept of Ag (these were rescued and rehabbed-2 were for adoption), and 3 Haflingers were there on consignment. Seven of the university horses did not sell, even with a minimum bid of $500. Notable no sales were 2 registered Morgan mares, age 4, drive, and started under saddle. Both were ridden into the ring, and were very well behaved; also a registered 2 yr old Pasofino, started in harness, very sweet and quiet. Notable Dept of Ag. no sales, even with a minimum $300 bid, were a gorgeous 11 yr. old registered QH stallion,16.1 hands tall. I have never seen such a well behaved stallion; also a 3 yr. old Appendix QH gelding, took the bit, stands, ties, loads, clips, bathes and great with vet and farrier. If I had the time and energy to finish training a horse, I would have bought one of the QHs. Yes, I would definately geld the stallion. There are enough unwanted horses in the U.S.!!! In my opinion, the best buy was an 8 yr old registered Haflinger, plows, drives in single and double harness, shown in halter,lots of show experience, calm in the woods and on the road, tie, clip,load and shoe, no vices. This beautiful gelding was "stolen" for $900!
My son had his heart set on one of the 7 polo horses being sold. He had ridden and played her numerous times while attending UConn. He was so nervous when it was time to bid, that after the final bid, he didn't realize that the winning bid had been his for $800. We hadn't brought the trailer, figuring it would deter our horse buying. So much for that idea! I think the safest thing to do next year is to avoid the UConn auction like a plague!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment