The Attributes of a Good Polo Pony



Speed, intelligence and agility by themselves, do not make a good polo pony. He must be clever. He must be able to dodge and swerve while going full speed, and to wheel and turn on the proverbial dime. Besides this, he must be able to follow the ball, and instinctively put his rider in a good position to hit it. He must be completely steady and unaffected by the waving mallets and yelling crowds. In addition, and no less important, he must have much courage, and not flinch from contact, sometimes violent, with another mount.







Monday, June 1, 2009

Its a Wrap!


In polo, as with most equine sports, the horses legs need to be protected, and/or have support. They are all types of bandages, wraps, and boots. There are bell boots, brushing boots, tendon boots, fetlock boots, open front boots, splint boots, hind boots, and the list goes on. There are so many sizes, types and colors, its a wonder anyone can decide what to buy. Lets take open front tendon boots as an example. To me, they look just like open front boots. When Mark said he needed open front tendon boots for the horses, I went to Dover Catalog and ordered a pair. When they arrived in the mail, we tried them on one of the horses. Now, I probably should have explained before, that in polo, the tendon boots are worn over polo wraps. Needless to say the straps on the boots weren't long enough to securely close the boot. The boots were returned, and I ordered different looking tendon boots from State Line Tack. Of course, these didn't fit either, so they were returned. I went online and found Las Pampas Polo. I figured that since they sold only polo equipment, their tendon boots would fit over polo wraps. To my surprise, the boots were 1/3rd the cost of the others I'd tried! I went through the steps to place my order until I got to the shipping page. The boots would be shipped from Argentina, so the cost was an additional $110. Great, if they didn't fit, it would probably cost that much to return them! Now what! I took a deep breath and entered my credit card number, and placed the order. The boots finally arrived after about 6 weeks-I guess it was a slow boat-and to my delight, they fit. We now had a pair of appropriate tendon boots that ONLY cost $180. This was 3 years ago, and we still have only one pair of boots, which we switch between horses. I can't bring myself to spend the amount needed to purchase 3 more pairs.

2 comments:

  1. I got open front boots with elastic and they work great over polos. $25 or so pair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know what brand they are,and where they can be purchased?

    ReplyDelete