The Attributes of a Good Polo Pony



Speed, intelligence and agility by themselves, do not make a good polo pony. He must be clever. He must be able to dodge and swerve while going full speed, and to wheel and turn on the proverbial dime. Besides this, he must be able to follow the ball, and instinctively put his rider in a good position to hit it. He must be completely steady and unaffected by the waving mallets and yelling crowds. In addition, and no less important, he must have much courage, and not flinch from contact, sometimes violent, with another mount.







Saturday, July 25, 2009

Mushrooms and Slugs


No, I am not going to write about a new Rap group, or a new way to get "high"!! All we have had this summer is rain! If it doesn't rain during the day, it rains at night. There haven't even been enough dry days to cut hay. Normally it takes 3 good, dry days to hay. Unfortunately, everything is so wet, and the grass has grown so long, if the hay is cut, its taking longer to dry, so we really need at least 4 consecutive dry days to hay. I've started checking the horses regularly for "rain rot" . I noticed mushrooms growing around the bottom of the barn walls the other day. Of course I looked-up the type to be sure they weren't poisonous. Zanita has a rubber feed tub that she likes to tip over. When I went to put grain in it one day, it was full of slugs. Slugs make me crazy. You can't touch them because you get that slimy stuff on your fingers, and it takes a blow-torch to get it off. I tried banging the bucket on a rock, but they have those suction cup like bellies. I finally used a stick and pried them off. Now I am careful to pick up the feed bucket after she eats.
Well I suppose if worse comes to worse, and we never get haying done, I can feed everyone mushrooms and slugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment