The Attributes of a Good Polo Pony



Speed, intelligence and agility by themselves, do not make a good polo pony. He must be clever. He must be able to dodge and swerve while going full speed, and to wheel and turn on the proverbial dime. Besides this, he must be able to follow the ball, and instinctively put his rider in a good position to hit it. He must be completely steady and unaffected by the waving mallets and yelling crowds. In addition, and no less important, he must have much courage, and not flinch from contact, sometimes violent, with another mount.







Friday, September 10, 2010

The Equine Related Incident


This is how it was described in a local newsletter. "It" is my broken leg and ankle- Four breaks, 8 pins and 1 plate. When I am asked how it happened, I am uncomfortable saying "I was thrown off my horse" or "I fell off my horse".
"Thrown" seems to imply that the horse is somehow at fault. "Fell implys that I tipped over, like Humpty Dumpty, and fell to the ground. I usually respond to the question with "I stayed on the first couple of bucks". I believe that if I was a better rider, I would have stayed in the saddle. I suppose my answer blames both the horse and rider. The horse I was riding was Alcott. Tom was riding behind me on C'est Bon, and said he didn't notice anything that would have caused Alcott to buck. Alcott had been very nervous before and during the ride. It is hard to decide if he was acting this way because something was bothering him, or he just didn't want to be ridden. I decided on the later reason. Ten minutes into the ride, for some reason only known to him, he started to buck, and off I went. As soon as I hit the ground, he ran home. I knew my ankle was broken shortly after hitting the ground. Since I fell off the right side of Alcott, and broke my left leg, I am thankful I didn't get dragged to death. Having been riding for 40 years, and falling off numerous times, I suppose I am also lucky that this is the first time anything serious has happened. This also happened on my birthday, so it will be a birthday I will never forget! When I told Mark what had happened he said " don't feel bad Mom, Alcott has thrown-off lots of riders". Thank you very much Mark!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment