The Attributes of a Good Polo Pony



Speed, intelligence and agility by themselves, do not make a good polo pony. He must be clever. He must be able to dodge and swerve while going full speed, and to wheel and turn on the proverbial dime. Besides this, he must be able to follow the ball, and instinctively put his rider in a good position to hit it. He must be completely steady and unaffected by the waving mallets and yelling crowds. In addition, and no less important, he must have much courage, and not flinch from contact, sometimes violent, with another mount.







Thursday, June 16, 2011

Stringhalt Anyone?


I know-I'm bitching again! Some horse owners never cease to amaze me!
This is what I just finished writing for my other blog: Craigslistadsthatpissmeofff
Yes, I know there are 3 "f"s in "off". I was typing too fast when I entered the title into the "setup your blog name page"!
I was browsing Equine.com this morning checking-out the Free Horses.
All but a pony were described as special needs, companion only, pasture pets. My guess is few stand any chance of ending up in a good situation. Maybe I'll see them on the Camelot Auction website, where current feedlot horses are listed. BTW, new horses are listed each Thursday morning, and ship to Canada on Sunday. The Champion horse, on Equine.com, shown above, is in Hamilton, MA, and has been shown very successfully at Myopia Hunt Club. For those of you that are not familiar with Myopia, it's the creme-de-la-creme of horse society. You mean to tell me that this horse, that has accomplished that much success for its owner, can not be provided for in its retirement?
Browse through the Free Horses on Equine.com, and see if there is a bad-backed, arthritic, allergic, laminitic, violently bucking, broodmare with stringhalt, an injured deep digital flexor tendon,COPD and ESPM that appeals to you. Come-on now,suck-it-up--everyone needs one of these horses in their barn!
To tell you the truth, if I had the time and money, I would take the sweet looking, grey, TB/Trakenher gelding!

No comments:

Post a Comment