The Attributes of a Good Polo Pony



Speed, intelligence and agility by themselves, do not make a good polo pony. He must be clever. He must be able to dodge and swerve while going full speed, and to wheel and turn on the proverbial dime. Besides this, he must be able to follow the ball, and instinctively put his rider in a good position to hit it. He must be completely steady and unaffected by the waving mallets and yelling crowds. In addition, and no less important, he must have much courage, and not flinch from contact, sometimes violent, with another mount.







Thursday, December 29, 2011

Another Star in the Sky



Tickle My Fancy
April 24, 1982 to December 28, 2011
Our sweet girl's vascullitis was flaring-up on a regular basis. She was scheduled to be euthanized Christmas week, but the night before I just couldn't follow through. My plan was to get her through the winter, and see how she was in the Spring. On Monday her leg was so swollen and she was very sore. Tuesday she was barely able to walk, so I kept her in our round pen so she wouldn't have to walk on uneven frozen ground. I knew in my heart she wouldn't make it through the winter, so I made arrangements with the vet and our neighbor with an excavator, to have Fancy euthanized on Wednesday afternoon. Wednesday morning when I went out to the barn to feed, Fancy was down in her stall and unable to get-up. My brother-in-law was visiting, so with his help we were able to remove the stall door, and its supporting beam, and eventually got Fancy onto her feet. She was unable to put any weight on her right hind leg, and had to hop on her left leg to move. I called the vet, and told them one of their vets needed to come immediately. While waiting, with the help of a friend, I was able to keep Fancy standing. Tom came home from work, and we were with Fancy "giving her love" until she was "asleep". So, another one of our beloved horses has crossed the Rainbow Bridge, and is now a star shining down upon us. Fancy was loved by many; taught many riders the joys of horse ownership and how to ride; won many ribbons, and championships. She lived a full life of 30 years, which ended as it should with all our equine friends-gently, quietly, painless, and terror free. And so my girl, whenever I look at the stars, I know you are shining down upon me.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Tabitha, no horse could want for a better caregiver. Your compassion and responsibility towards animals knows no bounds.
    Dear Fancy, beautiful girl, RIP. I hope that Heaven is as fine as Stony Bridge Farm.
    My sympathies to all at Stony Bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only all horses had such a wonderful owner.
    If only.

    Thank you for the gifts of a wonderful life, and a gentle death, to your beloved mare.
    Fancy, free.

    ReplyDelete