The Attributes of a Good Polo Pony



Speed, intelligence and agility by themselves, do not make a good polo pony. He must be clever. He must be able to dodge and swerve while going full speed, and to wheel and turn on the proverbial dime. Besides this, he must be able to follow the ball, and instinctively put his rider in a good position to hit it. He must be completely steady and unaffected by the waving mallets and yelling crowds. In addition, and no less important, he must have much courage, and not flinch from contact, sometimes violent, with another mount.







Sunday, December 20, 2009

New Girl in the Barn


I've done it again--took-in another horse. I was at the local tack shop, Crop and Carrot, and saw an ad for a free horse. It was a horse I knew, belonging to my son's girlfriend, Jen. Fancy is a 26 year old Appy.; a Hunter/Jumper and Eventing horse. She has won walls full of ribbons in the past 2 years, but it was time to retire. Plus, Jen needs to move onto a more challenging horse. Being the "nut" that I am, I came up with the excuse of needing a trail horse for Tom, or a spare for me. After some serious discussion and lots of finagling about where to house Fancy in our barn, it was decided to add her as a new member of our equine family. As you know, we have tons of experience with senior horses, and I knew in my heart that at her age, she would eventually end-up in the "slaughter pipeline". I'd save them all, if I had the money and space!! Last Sunday, I was up early anticipating her arrival. The barn had to be spotless, even though Jen has seen my barn a hundred times. Fancy arrived, with new purple halter and lead, and an entourage of Jen, Jen's mom, step dad, and best friend Camile. Off the trailer she came, and settled right in to life at our crazy farm. Tickle My Fancy is the sweetest horse on the planet. She reminds me of my horse King Summit who died several years ago at age 37. They are once in a lifetime horses, so few and far between. Thank you Jen and Robin for trusting us with Fancy. She will be loved and cared for until the end of her days.
To read more about Tickle My Fancy, go to http://lbfequestrian.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment