The Attributes of a Good Polo Pony



Speed, intelligence and agility by themselves, do not make a good polo pony. He must be clever. He must be able to dodge and swerve while going full speed, and to wheel and turn on the proverbial dime. Besides this, he must be able to follow the ball, and instinctively put his rider in a good position to hit it. He must be completely steady and unaffected by the waving mallets and yelling crowds. In addition, and no less important, he must have much courage, and not flinch from contact, sometimes violent, with another mount.







Friday, January 1, 2010

New Years Resolutions


I was asked today what my New Years Resolution was going to be. I haven't thought about it, seeing as in the past when I have made these promises, they are always broken by the end of the week! When I started to ponder the idea of making a resolution for this year, I came-up with many things-not just one. Some of my thoughts were: to lose weight, and exercise more(this is standard,and has never happened. I also want to ride more often, and participate in more horse related activities. I've already started some of those. I have been elected Chairperson for the Barre Riding and Driving Club Spring Fun Show. Somehow, I was also elected club spokesperson, which will involve writing articles about club activities for the newspapers and horse magazines. While I'm writing, I want to also submit more articles to the media regarding the horrors of horse slaughter, and what humane options there are for unwanted horses. I am also thinking about getting my riding instructors license. We have a big riding ring, and lots of quiet horses. It might be fun to teach some beginners about horses and riding. Then theres books to read, and reread. I hate to brag, but I have an enormous library of horse-related books. About a third, I've never read. Some other ideas for resolutions don't involve things to do, but ways to act. I want to be less judgemental of people, to think before I open my mouth, and to not over-react to so many things. So what do you, my readers, hope to accomplish in 2010? Is it horse related? Personal goals? I'll wish you luck, if you'll wish me luck!!! Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment