The Attributes of a Good Polo Pony



Speed, intelligence and agility by themselves, do not make a good polo pony. He must be clever. He must be able to dodge and swerve while going full speed, and to wheel and turn on the proverbial dime. Besides this, he must be able to follow the ball, and instinctively put his rider in a good position to hit it. He must be completely steady and unaffected by the waving mallets and yelling crowds. In addition, and no less important, he must have much courage, and not flinch from contact, sometimes violent, with another mount.







Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Horses, Horses, Everywhere


Now that Mark is back home for the winter, our horse population has increased signifigantly. We are keeping "his" horses seperate from "my" horses. Mark takes care of "his"horses, and I take care of "my" horses. Actually, since I am still not able to do much because of my broken/healing ankle, Tom, Alysia and Joe are taking care of "my" horses! I never know each morning and sometimes afternoon, where Marks horses will be. He moves them around between our different paddock locations. Sometimes they are across the street, sometimes in the back "wooded" area, sometimes in the riding ring, and sometimes in the main paddock. Now that winter is approaching, I would suspect that "his" horses will be kept nearer the barn, where there is a place to plug-in the water heater. It reminds me of the prize in a Cracker Jacks box--You never know what you'll win! This morning, I noticed "his" horses were in the main paddock. I wonder where he put "my" horses today?

No comments:

Post a Comment