The Attributes of a Good Polo Pony



Speed, intelligence and agility by themselves, do not make a good polo pony. He must be clever. He must be able to dodge and swerve while going full speed, and to wheel and turn on the proverbial dime. Besides this, he must be able to follow the ball, and instinctively put his rider in a good position to hit it. He must be completely steady and unaffected by the waving mallets and yelling crowds. In addition, and no less important, he must have much courage, and not flinch from contact, sometimes violent, with another mount.







Thursday, September 29, 2011

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow


On Sunday, Lilo was returned to Squirrelwood. What a lovely mare. I had hoped she would work-out as a polo horse, but alas it was not meant to be. Sunday morning I gave her a good grooming, lots of treats, and let her graze in our backyard, which is the biggest treat for any horse, as we don't mow the lawn very often!Having all this quality time with Lilo got me thinking "Maybe I should adopt her, and use her for a trail horse". Keep in mind that I have never even sat on her back, my ankle is stil in rough shape, and she is a TB polo horse. Mark was working and I was unable to reach him by phone to ask if he'd mind if I rode her for a few minutes in our riding ring. Of course this would be under Tom's supervision, maybe even using a lounge line. By the time Mark got home, Lilo's "ride" was already in route, so I'll never know if she would have worked-out for me. We were sad to see her go. Looking at her photo, I think she was equally as sad, or maybe just bored with me taking pictures! Could be the puddle she is standing in! So, Lilo will be greatly missed.I know she will eventually find the right home, and I'll have more money in my checking account----sweet--

No comments:

Post a Comment