The Attributes of a Good Polo Pony



Speed, intelligence and agility by themselves, do not make a good polo pony. He must be clever. He must be able to dodge and swerve while going full speed, and to wheel and turn on the proverbial dime. Besides this, he must be able to follow the ball, and instinctively put his rider in a good position to hit it. He must be completely steady and unaffected by the waving mallets and yelling crowds. In addition, and no less important, he must have much courage, and not flinch from contact, sometimes violent, with another mount.







Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Bit Warmers


I find it funny to see all the new horse-related products I can waste my money buying. I don't know about my readers, but whenever I am thinking about buying something frivolous, I say to myself "How many bales of hay would that money buy?"
Yesterday I saw an ad for "Bling Bit Warmers". The description of this product is: Add glamour(shiny material and sequins) to the process of heating up your bit before bridling.Heat 40 seconds in a microwave. Stays warm for 1/2 hour. Machine washable. Has 4 Velcro tabs at the corners for easy fitting on most standard bits. Suggested retail, $14.99 each. Shipping is $7.95 Now tell me how many people have a microwave oven in their barn? Who is going to see and appreciate your bit warmer with bling? Certainly not your horse. And, call me old fashion, but what ever happened to holding the bit between your hands, and huffing on it with your warm breath! Even holding the bit between your warm legs/knees will work. I don't know about you, but for $24.95 I'll buy 5 bales of hay, and NO your cannot have the name of my hay supplier!

No comments:

Post a Comment