The Attributes of a Good Polo Pony



Speed, intelligence and agility by themselves, do not make a good polo pony. He must be clever. He must be able to dodge and swerve while going full speed, and to wheel and turn on the proverbial dime. Besides this, he must be able to follow the ball, and instinctively put his rider in a good position to hit it. He must be completely steady and unaffected by the waving mallets and yelling crowds. In addition, and no less important, he must have much courage, and not flinch from contact, sometimes violent, with another mount.







Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Camping


One thing I have always wanted to do, was to go camping with my horses. I suppose Mark or Tom could also go with us! Each October the local riding and driving club hosts a 3 day trail ride in nearby Barre, MA. Riders and their horses can camp-out; all meals are provided; there is some form of entertainment-this year it was a jousting demonstration. There are several well marked trails(13, 20 miles and any variation). As always, I volunteer, and rarely ride, unless it is to mark trails. My jobs for the weekend were to register riders, help with the meals, and "man" the lunch stop on the 20-mile trail. The weather was perfect, and we had at least 20 riders camp-out with their horses, and 60 riders on the trails. Since I was going to be at this event, I decided to have Tom bring our trailer, with Fancy and Mark's portable corral, to the field so I could try "camping". I didn't ride, but got to spend quality time with Fancy. At first I was afraid I'd be awake all night worrying about her escaping, but told myself that if she did escape, she wouldn't go far as she was in a big field with lots of other horses. Surprisingly I slept well, and Fancy being the sweet mare that she is, didn't nicker for breakfast until 7 AM. I can't wait until next year. Maybe, I'll even get to ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment