The Attributes of a Good Polo Pony



Speed, intelligence and agility by themselves, do not make a good polo pony. He must be clever. He must be able to dodge and swerve while going full speed, and to wheel and turn on the proverbial dime. Besides this, he must be able to follow the ball, and instinctively put his rider in a good position to hit it. He must be completely steady and unaffected by the waving mallets and yelling crowds. In addition, and no less important, he must have much courage, and not flinch from contact, sometimes violent, with another mount.







Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hide and Seek


The "$500 polo pony" arrived home on a Wednesday. Christmas was on Saturday. On Thursday, we get a call from my son saying his plans had changed and he would be home earlier than planned. Instead of Christmas Eve, he would be home the night before. This threw myself and my husband into a panic. Our surprise would be ruined. What could we do. My friend suggested bringing the mare to her barn. Good idea, but the whole trailering thing seemed like such a hassle, especially since we'd be moving the mare in the wee hours of Christmas morning. Finally we came up with the great plan of hiding the mare behind the barn with the chickens. That way she would be out of sight, yet she could see the other horses and they could see her. Poor mare! I'm sure she was thinking "Newport to the Slums"! Early Christmas morning I put the mare in a stall with a big red bow around her neck. When my son woke up, I sent him out to the barn to give the horses their traditional Christmas Day treats. My husband and I stood in the window watching and waiting for his return to the house. How did he react you ask? Well, those of you that have children will know, there is nothing more touching than seeing tears of joy in your child's eyes! Or maybe those tears were because the only other gifts he got that Christmas were a hoof pick and pair of socks!!

2 comments:

  1. Thats sweet! I happened to give myself a horse for christmas this year. Figured I had deserved one... Boy did I get more than I bargained for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Catrina. We were very lucky with this mare. So many things could have gone wrong! My son called her his "princess" until this year, when he bought himself a younger TB. Now the younger mare is his "princess". Poor Eva!

    ReplyDelete