The Attributes of a Good Polo Pony



Speed, intelligence and agility by themselves, do not make a good polo pony. He must be clever. He must be able to dodge and swerve while going full speed, and to wheel and turn on the proverbial dime. Besides this, he must be able to follow the ball, and instinctively put his rider in a good position to hit it. He must be completely steady and unaffected by the waving mallets and yelling crowds. In addition, and no less important, he must have much courage, and not flinch from contact, sometimes violent, with another mount.







Sunday, January 25, 2009

How Not to Buy a Polo Pony


She was really a nice mare. And only $500. I told my son to call the owner back and offer the full price. Several calls were made by both myself and my son, and none of the calls were returned. A month had gone by. My son had given up on the mare. It was a couple weeks before Christmas. I wrote a letter , and followed it up by one last phone call. To my delight, the owner actually called back. He told me he had to leave the country, suddenly, to play polo in Argentina, and was surprised that after all this time I was still interested in the mare. Arrangements were made to pick-up the mare 3 days before Christmas. This was great timing, as my son will be away until Christmas Eve, so the mare will be a surprise. My husband and I drive the 2 hours to the farm, and wait another hour for the owner to arrive. He got "caught-up" at work. When he arrives, he brings us to the paddock where the mare is, and points to her. Now, I had only seen her for about an hour previously. She's pretty much a non-descript bay mare with a white star. I had written down the tattoo from her lip. The tattoo looked the same, though the letter seemed different. I didn't however, remember that she had a white spot on her eyeball. Maybe the sun had blinded me the first time I saw her? I asked the owner "are you sure this is her?" He, of course, after looking at me as if I had two heads, said "yes". Now at this point, the wise horse buyer says "thank you for your time" and goes home. We did not. We think : 1) Cheap polo horse. 2) Great Christmas gift. 3) We've taken the time off from work and driven all this way. SO,we load her onto our trailer after paying for her with cash. As we are driving out of the driveway I remember a bill of sale might be a good idea, so we stop and get something written on a scrap of paper. The mare trailers nicely, and is well behaved, though not very friendly. I'll have the vet check out that white spot on her eyeball as soon as possible! This is going to be the best Christmas present my son has ever received!

3 comments:

  1. Hey!
    I didn't know you had a blog!
    Way cool, a POLO blog. So, how did your son like his present? And, how is the white spot on her eyeball? It's usually scar tissue from an old injury, at least in my experience. I loved the polo ponies of my youth. Little sports cars, with hooves.
    Blog away, I'll read!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi GoLightly. So glad you read my blog. You'll have to read-on to get the answers to your comments/questions! Did you play polo? Let me know if theres anything you'd like me to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If she's been in a string of ponies she won't be very friendly. These are horses with a job. It will take a while, but her personality will come back. If it was a big name player, she has probably had several grooms and no one to really bond to. Even so, it is a great price for a made horse and hopefully she'll teach you all about the game.

    ReplyDelete