The Attributes of a Good Polo Pony



Speed, intelligence and agility by themselves, do not make a good polo pony. He must be clever. He must be able to dodge and swerve while going full speed, and to wheel and turn on the proverbial dime. Besides this, he must be able to follow the ball, and instinctively put his rider in a good position to hit it. He must be completely steady and unaffected by the waving mallets and yelling crowds. In addition, and no less important, he must have much courage, and not flinch from contact, sometimes violent, with another mount.







Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Polo Helmet


When you think of polo, you usually think of Prince Charles, Palm Beach, Newport, fancy cars, tailgate parties, the wealthy. If this is true, then it would make sense that polo must be an expensive sport. Of course, I didn't think about any of this logic, before agreeing to let my son play. I was too excited about the fact that finally one of my children was going to be involved with horses! I think the expense factor first "hit me" when my son asked if I would buy him a polo helmet. Up to that point he had been using one of the schools helmets, so I agreed to buy the helmet. Now, polo equipment isn't something that is carried at the local tack store. I got the name of the Tackeria in Florida. I told the woman on the phone what I needed, she told me the price, and the cost to ship. I told her I only wanted one helmet, I wasn't suppying the whole team! She said that was the price for one helmet! I said OMG, and gave her my credit card number. Several days later, the helmet arrived. My son took one look at it, and said "where's the face guard!" Now, maybe I should be feeling stupid at this point, but how was I to know that polo helmets didn't come with face guards? Then it hit me. What does a face guard cost? Another phone call is made, and eventually we had a lovely blue polo helmet with face guard, that only cost about what it costs me to feed a horse for 1 1/2 months!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, but you only have one brain and one face so the helmet is worth it. I always take a deep breath and just give them the card number. The good thing is that there are many things that are way less expensive if you can find them second hand. I just wouldn't take a risk on a helmet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! I was just surprised, as the helmet I use for trail riding was only $45, though I don't have mallets and balls coming at my head! Even with the face guard, my son did once need 5 stitches in his chin. Without the guard, he probably would have lost his teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After you've had a ball hit the back of your helmet you'll be glad you don't have the $45 one. I have a great video of my husband catching a line drive to the back of his helmet. Pretty amazing how much power in a good shot.

    ReplyDelete