The Attributes of a Good Polo Pony



Speed, intelligence and agility by themselves, do not make a good polo pony. He must be clever. He must be able to dodge and swerve while going full speed, and to wheel and turn on the proverbial dime. Besides this, he must be able to follow the ball, and instinctively put his rider in a good position to hit it. He must be completely steady and unaffected by the waving mallets and yelling crowds. In addition, and no less important, he must have much courage, and not flinch from contact, sometimes violent, with another mount.







Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Deadly Lease


This past summer I had an eye-opening experi ence. During a conversation at a polo game, it was mentioned that another polo family was looking for a horse for the summer. They wanted a horse that their 2 children could use to practice "stick and ball". For anyone that is unfamiliar with the term, its practicing your mallet strokes, from atop a horse. My son usually does this at a walk, trot or easy canter. Nothing too strenuis. I was asked about Alcott and as he wasn't playing polo anymore, and is very gentle, I thought it might be a good idea. The girls tried him out and it was decided to let this family lease Alcott. Now, I want to mention at this point that the parents of the children are both Equine Veterinarians and own other horses. I thought it would be an ideal situation for Alcott and sent him off with this famiy. During the summer I heard that they were having some trouble with his eating, but had figured it out. In September I went to bring Alcott home, and what I saw was so horrible I was speechless. His body condition was about a 1.5, and he could barely walk. I was told that they had tried different feeds,but he had still gotten so thin that they stopped ridng him at the beginning of August. All I could think of was that I had to get him home and prayed that he would survive the hour drive. Once home our vet was notified, he got a complete physical, teeth were checked and lab tests were conducted.
There was nothing wrong with him. I should also mention that they had trimmed his hooves so short that he couldn't walk without pain. Our vet recommended stall rest in deep shavings and 4 meals a day. Shoes were also suggested, but he was so weak that he could not stand on 3 legs to be shod. Gradually he improved, and 4 months later he is at a perfect weight. Needless to say, this was an awful experience, but it taught me a good lesson. You can never be too careful when it involves your horse's well-being. Yes, maybe I should have physically checked-up on Alcott during the summer; but he was in the care of veterinarians, and they had come highly recommended! Why didn't they call me? My horses will never be leased again unless on my property and under my supervision. At this point I don't even think I would sell any of my horses, for fear of what their outcome would be! I would rather have them humanely euthanized! You can never be too careful when it comes to your horses!

1 comment:

  1. What a terrible sight for you. Good golly, poor horse.

    Nothing like experience, too bad this one was so hard on the horse..

    I'm so sorry you had to go through it. Yes, you "should" have gone to see him, but as you said, they were Vets!!!

    ReplyDelete