The Attributes of a Good Polo Pony



Speed, intelligence and agility by themselves, do not make a good polo pony. He must be clever. He must be able to dodge and swerve while going full speed, and to wheel and turn on the proverbial dime. Besides this, he must be able to follow the ball, and instinctively put his rider in a good position to hit it. He must be completely steady and unaffected by the waving mallets and yelling crowds. In addition, and no less important, he must have much courage, and not flinch from contact, sometimes violent, with another mount.







Saturday, March 14, 2009

On-Call Farrier Service


My farrier Deb Ballou (978-257-4165)has been shoeing my horses for at least 10 years. For the first 3 years I was working full time so was never here when she came to shoe. Since then, I've worked at home, so get to hold the horses while she shoes. In that time we've seen each others kids grow, shared lots of horse stories and been through many family and personal ups and downs. I like my farrier, not only for the job she does shoeing, but as a person, and always enjoy it when she is here. Lately, shes been here a lot. Usually, the horses are shod and/or trimmed every 7-8 weeks. For some reason, this year the shoes on Trick and Tequila keep getting pulled off. Of course they take turns, so its Trick one week and Tequila the next. Deb was here this past Tuesday, putting a shoe back on Trick, and shoeing Eva. When she was done, we set-up an appointment for the next visit. This morning when I went out to feed, I heard a strange sound coming from Tequila's stall. When I looked inside, I saw that her front shoe was being held on by one nail. I couldn't get the shoe off, so my son came out to the barn and removed it. When he was done, we looked at each other, and obviously thinking the same thing said "Tequila can wait, lets give Deb at least one week off!" Afterall, mud season is just around the corner, and we know how mud loves to pull off shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment